On Jan 22, 2010, at 11:57 PM, Yaron Sheffer wrote:

> The text in 3.3 requires "peace of mind" to fully appreciate. A diagram might
> be helpful.
>
> Here's a first shot (we'll need to add some descriptive text):
>
>                        SA Payload
>                      ---------------............-
>                      |             |            |
>               Proposal #1       Proposal #2   Proposal #n
>                     ESP           ESP
>                     SPIx          SPIy
>                      |             |
>           ---------------------    --------------------
>           |                   |             |         |
>      Transform A        Tranform B    Transform C Transform D
>          ENCR               AUTH          ENCR       ESN
>          AES            HMAC-SHA-256    AES-CCM     ESN=1
>   -----------------
>   |       |       |
> Attr Ax Attr Ay Attr Az
>  128     192     256

I'm sorry I just noticed this, but is this even allowed?  Can you include
multiple key length attributes in the same transform?

Section 3.3.6 says:

                 If there are multiple proposals, the responder MUST
   choose a single proposal.  If the selected proposal has multiple
   Transforms with the same type, the responder MUST choose a single
   one.

So far, it's OK. The responder chooses one proposal, and if that proposal
contains multiple transforms of the same type (say AUTH=HMAC-SHA-1 and
AUTH=HMAC-SHA-256) then the responder chooses just one of those.

         Any attributes of a selected transform MUST be returned
   unmodified.

To me, "unmodified" does not mean choose one of three. So IMO the above
Proposal #1 should be as follows (ignoring the missing ESN):

              Proposal #1
                    ESP
                    SPIx

      ---------------------
      |                   |
 Transform A   Transform B   Transform C   Transform D
     ENCR          ENCR          ENCR          AUTH
     AES           AES           AES       HMAC-SHA-256
   Attr Ax       Attr Ay       Attr Az
     128           192           256

                The initiator of an exchange MUST check that the
   accepted offer is consistent with one of its proposals, and if not
   that response MUST be rejected.

BTW: how do you reject a response?