Dan,

>   Hi Alper,
>
>   In that case there is no standard way for the AAA server to inform
> the
> IKEv2 responder of this "policy" that it needs to enforce. So that
> sounds
> unworkable.

I guess it can be specified.

>   The IKEv2 responder already has the mechanisms in place to enforce a
> policy based on the authenticated identity of the IKEv2 initiator. So
> if
> EAP is being used then all we need is a way to get that authenticated
> identity from the AAA server to the IKEv2 responder.

Isn't IDi what IKE deals with?

>   I'm not aware of a document to allows a AAA server to export the
> authenticated identity to the AAA client (maybe such an attribute
> already
> exists, I just don't know)

I'm not aware, either.
In other uses of AAA (such as with WiFi, WiMAX, 3GPP2, etc.) I know that the
subscriber ID is hidden from the NAS. There are even specific methods
deployed for that purpose. So, disclosing that ID would not be acceptable
there. I'm just not sure if the same privacy concerns apply to the VPN
deployments.

> but surely it would be easier to define that
> then to define a standard way to send some "policy" from AAA server to
> IKEv2 responder. Right?

If you don't do that, then you have to maintain "per subscriber policy" on
each one of the VPN gateways. Now that starts defeating some of the purpose
that AAA was offloaded to a centralized/dedicated server.

Regards,

Alper