And thank you for taking the time, Rod.

The linktionary has a pretty good definition, though I don't know if it counts
as "textbook". Same for Wikipedia
http://www.linktionary.com/f/fault_tolerance.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fault-tolerant_system

Anyway, we need to limit the scope of this document. I think we're only
interested in clusters that provide high-availability, that are, to use your
terms, completely or partially transparent.

Also, while there could be clusters with m members, where n, such that 1<=n<=m,
are active, for the purposes of the discussion it is enough to assume that
we're dealing with two types of high-availability, mostly transparent clusters:
- Those where exactly one does IKE and IPsec, and the rest just synchronize
state, and
- Those where more than one member are doing IKE and IPsec, all the time
synchronizing state.

This taxonomy is needed, because some of the problems that affect one cluster
type do not affect the other.

So I propose the following terms, and these are not for generic clusters
providing generic services to the generic Internet, but only for the purposes
of this work item in this working group.

- For the cluster with just one member doing IKE and IPsec, I propose
"hot-standby cluster"
- For the cluster with several members doing IKE and IPsec, I propose to keep
"load-sharing cluster"

Is this fine with everyone?

Yoav