I'm concerned about using DNS as the introducer here. Doing this
securely requires DNS records to be updated, signed, and distributed
whenever a new "satellite" gateway or host arrives or departs.
That's cumbersome, expensive, and complex since it requires
interfacing the IPsec and DNSSEC infrastructure and lots of
resigning.

The core IPsec gateway already knows all the information necessary
to establish a secure direct connection between satellites and
there's already a secure connection between the core and the
satellites. Why not use that connection to distribute the information
directly from the core to the satellites?

Whatever technology is decided upon, my employer (Juniper Networks)
sees a need for dynamically established "peer-to-peer" VPNs and
supports efforts to create standards in this area and to get
widespread adoption of those standards.

Thanks,

Steve Hanna