On 11/7/11 9:44 PM, "Michael Richardson" <m...@sandelman.ca> wrote:

>    Praveen> In this solution, HUB is the trust entity that all spoke
>    Praveen> establish static IPSec tunnel (either using Site to site
>    Praveen> tunnel or spoke establish dynamic remote access tunnel with
>    Praveen> hub). When tunnel is established, spoke will exchange
>
>So... you have a trusted third party: DNS server on HUB.
>If you talk to it over IPsec, you are as secure as DNSSEC, but you have
>perhaps less resiliancy.

I don't see how DNS figures into this.  We have three gateways:
 - hub-gw, which knows the protected domains of everyone
 - spoke32, which protects 192.168.32.0/24, knows about hub-gw, and sends
all 192.168.0.0/16 to hub-gw.
 - spoke79, which protects 192.168.79.0/24, knows about hub-gw, and sends
all 192.168.0.0/16 to hub-gw

Host 192.168.79.5 sends a packet to 192.168.32.8. Spoke79 tries to create
a child SA with hub-gw. Hub-gw tells spoke79 that that address can be
reached through a gateway that will present a certificate with CN=spoke32
and protect 192.168.32.0/24. A similar message is sent to spoke32 about
spoke79. Or maybe it generates a shared secret for them.

Either way, spoke32 and spoke79 can then communicate directly. And no DNS.