From: Yoav Nir [mailto:y...@checkpoint.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:08 AM
To: Mike Sullenberger <m...@cisco.com>
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org <ipsec@ietf.org>; f...@cisco.com <f...@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] P2P VPN - Side Meeting

Hi Mike

On Nov 15, 2011, at 6:25 PM, Mike Sullenberger wrote:

> Hi Yoav,
>
>    Please see inline.
>
> Mike.

>>> absolutely. Then we agree on the 20 min.

>>> These are all very vague but generally misinformed statements.
>>
>> I'm sorry if they have offended you or your company.
>>
>> My point remains, that IPsec does define a mechanism for tunneling
>> packets. It's called "tunnel mode IPsec". That Cisco and perhaps
>> other vendors choose to use other tunneling mechanisms such as GRE
>> when they need some fancy features such as peer discovery or dynamic
>> protected domain discovery, tells me that something is lacking in
>> IPsec tunnels. That is what I meant by "kludge".
>>
>> It may be that the problem with IPsec tunnels is not in the tunnels
>> themselves, but that there are no configuration protocols associated
>> with them, such as the routing protocols or such as NHRP that can be
>> used with GRE tunnels.
>>
>> I will take your word that using GRE+NHRP can scale as far as anyone
>> would like. However, in evaluating solutions, we should not
>> automatically go with the analogy that IPsec VPNs are like overlay
>> networks on top of the Internet, and that tunnels are analogous to
>> links. GRE is an overhead that is added to every packet. NHRP is yet
>> another protocol that needs to be implemented and carried over the
>> IPsec SA. All that should be compared with cost and complexity of
>> potential extensions to IKE and IPsec that would carry the same
>> information.
>>

> We use other tunnel mechanisms (GRE), because IPsec tunneling mode
> is lacking in functionality. For example, when you use GRE for the
> tunneling you also reduce the IPsec SA's that are needed to "describe"
> the traffic for IPsec to encrypt.  If you use IPsec tunnel mode only
> then for each pairing of subnets behind each peer you need a separate
> IPsec SA. For example if there are 5 subnets each behind two peers
> then you need up to 25 SA pairs to describe exactly what needs to be
> encrypted and nothing more.  If you tunnel the data traffic first then
> you only need 1 SA pair for all traffic, since IPsec encrypts the
> tunnel itself and not the traffic within the tunnel.

This was correct in IKEv1, but in IKEv2 you can have a bunch of ranges for each
traffic selector. Regardless, it has long been a (undocumented) practice, by
more than one vendor, to negotiate universal tunnels, so that a single IPsec SA
can be used for all the traffic between two peers.

> What you call other fancy features is what I call functional separation.
> IPsec does encryption well, but in reality it does a fairly poor job of
> tunneling. So lets have IPsec do what it does well and have GRE do what
> it does well and that is tunneling.  Then you add NHRP do to next-hop
> resolution, which is what it was specifically designed to do, so that
> you can dynamically find peers and dynamically build new GRE tunnels
> protected by IPsec.  Note, NHRP runs through the GRE tunnel so the
> single IPsec SA, since it encrypts the tunnel, also protects NHRP.
> Finally you add a routing protocol to advertise the reachablity of
> subnets/networks through the tunnel.  Again this all goes through
> tunnel so the single IPsec SA protects this traffic as well.
>
> Basically you now have a system where you are using the proper tool
> to do the job that it was designed to do and that it does best. If you
> were to to try to overload these functions back into IPsec/IKE then
> you would end up with a less efficient system.

I agree that this is a solution, but I don't agree that this is necessarily the
best solution. I'm also missing how trust is established, and how advertising
the reachability can be made secure. As long as you don't have tunneling, a
router can only lie to its neighbors, and even that problem was severe enough
that the SIDR group was set up to solve it. Once you add tunneling, those lies
can propagate all around the world. So within the large overlay network, you
either have to assume that everyone "plays nice", or else you need some
security mechanism to secure these advertisements.

To my mind, the security part of this is the real challenge, regardless of
whether we model IPsec tunnels as links or not.

Communications with GCHQ may be monitored and/or recorded
for system efficiency and other lawful purposes. Any views or
opinions expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect GCHQ
policy.  This email, and any attachments, is intended for the
attention of the addressee(s) only. Its unauthorised use,
disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify postmas...@gchq.gsi.gov.uk.

This information is exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of
Information Act 2000 and may be subject to exemption under
other UK information legislation. Refer disclosure requests to
GCHQ on 01242 221491 ext 30306 (non-secure) or email
info...@gchq.gsi.gov.uk

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure
Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in
partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) On
leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or
recorded for legal purposes.