This issue was based on Michael Richardson's March 12, 2012 email where he said:

Finally, say my laptop is normally part of such a mesh (as a /32,/128
subnet).  When I'm "trapped" behind a NAPT, I naturally use
NAT-traversal to get out and join the MESH.

Now, what happens if I come to the office, which is itself part of the
MESH. This is not a new problem, btw, but normally I have only a single
tunnel to bring up or down.  Now that I have all these tunnels and
policy.  Should any of this MESH continue to be used?
Are there some non-convex topologies where this can be important (should
some traffic be double encrypted as a result?), or is it all just out of
scope.   (We dealt with these things as implementation challenges when
combining an extruded IPsec tunnel with RFC4322.  We had
co-terminal tunnels of the near kind, which was solved, and co-terminal
tunnels of the far kind, which we did not manage to implement)

For the above, consider a laptop/tablet which might now have multiple
exit routes via 3G+wifi+wired...  and that it's moving.

I hope that helps clarify the issue. If not, perhaps you and Michael can
clarify and discuss it further.

Thanks,

Steve