    Geoffrey> My initial inclination is to say that won't fly: that many
    Geoffrey> deployments still require preshared key authentication.
    Geoffrey> Rather, they would object to certificates because of
    Geoffrey> perceived complexity. That said, I could see arguments
    Geoffrey> that what we're discussing are already fairly
    Geoffrey> sophisticated topologies, so perhaps the certificate
    Geoffrey> allergy doesn't hold?

Tero isn't proposing using certificates.

Tero is proposing that the gateway/hub provides each leaf node with a
gateway mediated, ASN.1 encoded, scalable, asymmetric, transitive proofs
of identity.  It would be used only for the leaf to leaf connection.
It would be retained for a convenient period of time and then destroyed.

End users and leaf systems would continue to "authenticate" to the
gateway using the insecure legacy mechanisms that CTOs seem to prefer.

] m...@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.