From: ipsec-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipsec-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Stephen Kent
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:29 PM
To: Xiangyang zhang
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [IPsec] draft-zhang-ipsecme-multi-path-ipsec

At 1:12 AM +0000 4/3/12, Xiangyang zhang wrote:
>A new version of I-D, draft-zhang-ipsecme-multi-path-ipsec-00.txt
>has been successfully submitted by Xiangyang Zhang and posted to the
>IETF repository.
>
>Filename:    draft-zhang-ipsecme-multi-path-ipsec
>Revision:    00
>Title:        Multiple Path IP Security
>Creation date:    2012-04-02
>WG ID:        Individual Submission
>Number of pages: 7
>
>Abstract:
>   This document presents one approach to enhance data protection when
>   transmitting IPsec datagrams across the insecure networks. The method
>   affords the stronger protection to the traffic by splitting it among
>   a set of sub-tunnels.  All the Security Associations (SAs) are set up
>   independently for all sub-tunnels.  Both the sending and receiving
>   entity combine all the sub-tunnels to one clustered tunnel.  As
>   different sub-tunnel uses different crypto key materials and
>   processing parameters, it may achieve the stronger protection of the
>   traffic across the insecure networks.  In addition, it could possibly
>   bring more benefits in terms of the network control.

This seems like a potentially very complex feature that creates added
opportunities for packet arrival reordering (of added jitter) without a good
analysis of the security rationale. Also, as others have noted, this is not a
"multi-path" feature, but a multi=-tunnel feature, so the doc name is
inappropriate. The comment on multiple paths in the secruity considerations
section is also in error.

Steve