Paul Hoffman wrote:
> >You may be overstating that "many people" agree that it is worth doing,
> >but it is certainly worth discussing.

I'm definitely interested in that discussion, as I'm in the midst of
an update to the IPsec requirements for iSCSI.

David McGrew wrote:
> The issue is that 3DES has a 64-bit block instead of a 128-bit block;
> please see draft-irtf-cfrg-cipher-catalog-01 Section 2.2.3.   (In
> retrospect, there should have been a citation in the draft.)

That suggests that an explanation of the birthday bound concern
along with a discussion of transmission rate and rekeying concerns
would be appropriate for the ESP and AH requirements draft, as
opposed to a blanket "SHOULD NOT" statement for 3DES.

A 1 Gbit/sec link running encrypted at line rate can get to the 4
Gigabyte birthday bound stated in the cfrg draft fairly quickly, but
a much slower throughput rate may take much longer before rekeying
becomes necessary, if ever (e.g., a remote access session's entire
traffic may be measured in 10s of Megabytes or less).

Aside - there may be a math error in the draft.
For a block size (w) of 64 (i.e., 2^6):

        - w * 2^(w/2) bits = 2^6 * 2^32 bits = 2^38 bits
        - 2^38 bits is 2^35 bytes (byte contains 8=2^3 bits)
        - 2^35 bytes is 2^5 gigabytes (gigabyte contains 2^30 bits).

That would be 32 gigabytes, but this aside doesn't change the
above discussion, as a 1 Gbit/sec rate will get there in a few
minutes, and a 10 Gbit/sec rate will get there in under a minute.
Moreover the draft warns (with good reason) that getting close
to the birthday bound is not a good idea.

Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
david.bl...@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754