The problem I have with this discussion is, this check (if really required) should have been in the base protocol, because the protocol has supported EC groups from day one. It doesn't belong in a specific curve definition. We could use the errata process to add it. It's not ideal, but certainly better than republishing RFC 5996.

Thanks,
        Yaron