This last statement makes me suspect that you misunderstood what we were doing.

The tests we suggest in this draft are not run on either the secret exponent
nor the public value we generate.  Instead, it's run on the value r we receive
from the peer's KE payload.  How the peer selects that value isn't our problem
(we certainly hope the peer selects it in a way such that a third party can't
guess its secret exponent; we can't actually test for that); our problem is
deciding whether to accept it or not.

> I have not implemented ECDSA, but the instructions seemed well
> formatted, but I don't at this point know what they mean.

Actually, we're talking about ECDH here, and not ECDSA.