Hi Yoav,

What I could not find anywhere in the RFC is how to match name in the ID payload to the certificate. In HTTPS we have a requirement that either the CN or the dNSName alternate name match the domain name in the URL. We don't have similar rules for IKE, do we?

Yes, we do: RFC4945.

So do you think it would be appropriate to mandate these matching rules in rfc5996bis, or should this be left to AD-VPN solutions. IOW, is such a standard rule needed for generic IKE/IPsec?

It's definitely worth to mention these rules in RFC5996bis, or at least point to the RFC4945.

Valery.