Hi Yoav,

Yes, it says so in RFC 1122. Microsoft sends 576-byte packets when it does IKEv1 fragmentation.

Actually, it is not a requirement in RFC1122, but only recommendation (although a "strong" one):

            "Since nearly all networks in the Internet currently
             support an MTU of 576 or greater, we strongly recommend
             the use of 576 for datagrams sent to non-local networks."

But I agree that 576 works in 90 or more percent of cases. And even 1280
will probably work for IPv4, but not so sure about it.

Valery.

Still, I don't think you're going to find on the modern Internet any networks that aren't usable by IPv6.
So I think we should be pretty safe in adoption IPv6's minimum of 1280

Yoav