Hi Hannes

I tend to agree. The beauty of IP (with or without “sec”) is that I can open a
connection in one place to a server that is located in another location
half-way around the world. The garage door opener is used from a short
distance, so you don’t really need routing. You still might want to use IP, if
only because IP-supporting equipment is so ubiquitous. I would have liked it if
we could use some zeroconf protocol for discovering the garage door, but just
because the opener is physically close to the garage door does not mean that it
is topologically close on the Internet. So the best IP-based way is to register
the garage door in DNS (garagedoor.yaronshouse.org), and then HTTPS works at
least as well as HTTP over IPsec.

All this underlines Yaron’s claim that we need a better example for a use case
for NULL auth.

Yoav

BTW: my local police station has an electrically-operated gate to the parking
lot where the patrol cars are parked. It’s opened remotely by calling a
particular phone number. The gate answers, immediately hangs up, and opens.
This is pretty bad, because a phone number is a terribly short shared secret.