> On Feb 9, 2015, at 4:03 AM, Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2015, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
>
>> I think we've come a full circle. We now have a proposal that makes
>> proof-of-work more deterministic for each type of client (which I find very
>> useful). But the weaker clients will always lose, no matter what POW
>> solution we choose. This has been a problem with this proposal from day one
>> and it's a limitation that we as a group need to decide whether to accept or
>> not.
>
> I'm not yet convinced this proposal will provide a working solution to
> the DDOS problem.

Hi, Paul

“solution” is hard. Whatever we do, an attacker with unlimited resources can
throw more at us.

We could block all regular initiations under load, allowing only RFC 5723
resumptions. But this allows an attacker to force us into this mode and
effectively deny service to all initiators that don’t have a saved session.

So instead we can allow resumptions and also make it more costly for the
attacker to mount the attack on regular initiations. Even an easy puzzle, one
that my 1.2 GHz single-core ARMv5 with C code can solve in a second is much
harder than just the return routability that COOKIE provides. The draft has
text about how to make these puzzles a weapon of last resort, so legitimate
users hardly ever need to solve them, but even setting the puzzle difficulty to
something a strong desktop can do 20 times a second, it’s still better than the
two other alternatives: allow the strong desktop to create 1000 half-open SAs
in a second, or entirely block the subnet from which the desktop seems to come.