On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Tero Kivinen wrote:

How has that happened. Hmmm... looking at the archives that was there
from the beginning. And those assignments which were done at the same
time as RFC4306 was published (i.e. RFC4309 and RFC4106) never went
through the IANA Expert review, hey were simply added to registry
without asking from anybody...

This was the time when we had some communications issues between IANA
and experts...

Is that when Camellia went through as well? :P with different numbers
for IKEv1 and IKEv2 :P  [insert implementer anger :)]

On the other hand all of these are just strings so they do not affect
protocol.

Agreed, but it's nice to be able to grep other people's source code :P

If people feel it would be better to fix those, we can do that, i.e.
change:

Or even go wild and change them:

14      ENCR_AES_CCM_8
15      ENCR_AES_CCM_12
16      ENCR_AES_CCM_16
18      ENCR_AES_GCM_8
19      ENCR_AES_GCM 12
20      ENCR_AES_GCM_16
25      ENCR_CAMELLIA_CCM_8
26      ENCR_CAMELLIA_CCM_12
27      ENCR_CAMELLIA_CCM_16

It would be great if we could do that! But if we can change these, why
can we not also change "-" into "_" ?

Paul