> On 2 Nov 2015, at 11:44 AM, Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2 Nov 2015, Yoav Nir wrote:
>
>> P.S. Someone’s asked me off-list whether there is any IPsecME document that
>> says not to trust SHA-1 in signatures, both AUTH payload and certificates,
>> the way the TLS 1.3 document may end up saying for TLS. I’m wondering if
>> RFC4307bis might be the place for this, in particular the signature in AUTH
>> payload. Just something to think about before we bikeshed.RFC4307bis
>> Bikeshedding Session.
>
> We should have text to clarify the difference of algorithm use in
> IKE/IPsec and in AUTH processing. Initial thought is that AUTH
> processing crypto restrictions don't beling in 4307bis.

I think we do need some kind of statement along the lines:
 - With RSA signatures, use SHA-256 or better, not SHA-1 (BTW: 7296 says
“SHOULD use SHA-1” and this is a document from only last year…)
 - Don’t use DSS because that is only defined with SHA-1.
 - With ECDSA no need to specify because each curve comes with a hash
 - PSK is fine because you are using a PRF.
 - With anything else, don’t use any hash weaker than SHA-256.

If not here, where does this advice go?