Hi, Valery.

Thank you for this draft. Having read it, I have some comments.

First, the problem of IKE having too large packets in certain environments is a
real problem. We’ve already addressed it with fragmentation, and the TCP
encapsulation draft proposes yet another way. I think either of those can solve
most of the bad router and noisy line issues. I also think that IKE is quite
low-volume so the savings in number of bytes sent from, say, a mobile phone are
not an issue. So the only scenario where compression may have value is for an
IoT device working on a battery and/or using a particularly slow network.

Second, as I understand it, those battery-powered devices tend to use 802.15.4
networks with 127-byte frames. There’s 6LoWPAN to provide fragmentation
support, but that’s similar to using IKE’s fragmentation for the same issue.
Can anything be done at all with 127-byte frames, that include the (IPv6?)
headers, the 8-byte UDP header, the 20-byte IKEv2 header in addition to all the
payload headers? If we need fragmentation anyway, I don’t know if compression
matters.

Third, I haven’t tested this myself, so I may be all wrong here, but I question
the value of compression on IKE. IKE is a binary protocol with mostly compact
binary payloads. Even the list of supported CAs is a list of hashes in IKEv2.
How much can compression help?

Yoav