On Fri, 15 Jan 2016, Yoav Nir wrote:

The initiator cannot validate the cookie - it is an opaque blob for him. Should
he reject
the cookie if its length is more than 64 bytes? Possibly. I don't know.
It's a bit strange to check an opaque object…

It’s an opaque object that the RFC says should be up to 64 bytes.

I tried to find a reference that the cookie is max 64 bytes and coul not
find it. So I concluded the valid max is a regular Notify payload length
specified in two octets, so 65535 bytes. I'm happy to be proven wrong :P

The responder accepts a cookie that it never sent. It doesn’t check the cookie
because there is, in fact, no DoS attack. That seems wrong.

As I also explain, it is probably motivated by supporting the server
switching to "no longer need cookies" and clients coming with a cookie
not getting denied. I agree that the server should still check any
cookie it receives, or after a timer reject all connections with
a (guaranteed false) cookie. But that would need to be an update to
RFC 7296.

Paul