Actually, the current draft allows the responder to make a trade-off between
identity protection and cost of lookup.

In the exchange, the responder selects a "PPK Indicator Input" and the
initiator responds with a value that's a function of the PPK and the PPK
Indicator input that the responder selected.  If the responder always selects a
random PPK Indicator Input, you get identity hiding (at the cost of having the
responder doing the search).  If the responder always selects a fixed value,
then the initiator's response is a fixed function of the PPK (and so the
responder can precompute all the PPK's he knows about, and then do a simple
lookup at negotiation time), you get a fast negotiation (at the cost of
identity hiding).

> Thats
> why I do not like the current approach and I think trying to hide the identity
> for the active attacker is just opening other attacks which are worse than the
> attack where attactive attacker can learn the ID of the initiator...

Actually, the identity weakness would be a passive attacker being able to
deduce whether two negotiations used the same PPK (and if they did, they're
likely from the same entity).