On Fri, 22 Jul 2016, John Mattsson wrote:

Subject: [IPsec] 3GPP question about ECDSA support

3GPP is currently apopting ECDSA for all uses of IKEv2 (older releases
used RSA). My 3GPP SA3 colleagues (cc) have asked me to forward the
question below to the IPSec wg. As discussed in Buenos Aires, 3GPP and
IETF should coordinate more, I hope the IPSec wg can provide valuable
feedback.

See https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipsecme-rfc4307bis-07#section-4

While the old style "auth by IKE algorithm number" are still at SHOULD,
they will be demoted in the near future because we are promoting using
Digital Signatures as per RFC 7427 instead.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7427

As the draft states:

   RSA authentication, as well as other specific
   Authentication Methods, are expected to be replaced with the generic
   Digital Signature method of [RFC7427].

   [...]

   ECDSA based Authentication Methods are also expected to be downgraded
   as it does not provide hash function agility.  Instead, ECDSA (like
   RSA) is expected to be performed using the generic Digital Signature
   method.

The advantage is that the AUTH algorithm will be negotiated by OID and
be independent of any IKE/IPsec RFC's.

New standards should really only use 7427 for authentication.

ECDSA should be supported via RFC-7427 and not via the legacy IKE
algorithm numbers.

Paul