On Tue, 4 Oct 2016, Valery Smyslov wrote:

I don't think negotiation is needed. It's enough if each side announces its capabilities, the same way it is done in RFC7427 with hash functions. And the easiest way to do it is to add pseudo-hash value "RSASSA-PSS supported" into the hash algorithms registry. In this case each side will announces that it supports some set of hash algorithms in signature and announces whether RSASSA-PSS is supported. I understand that it is a clear protocol hack and I don't want to follow this way, but it is the easiest path. Can you suggest better
solution (apart from "do nothing")?

I'm really against this solution. As you said, we can expect more of
this with ECC variants, and it will just be a large cluttering of the
integ registry.

What's wrong with adding a new notify type that can be used on the
initiator as well as on the responder? And so doesn't have the problem
of favouring the "old ways" for compatibility?

Paul