> On 2 Nov 2016, at 18:19, Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca> wrote:
>

> Yoav Nir <ynir.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 4 Why do we need a new port? What goes wrong if the
>> packets go to port 4500?
>
> I think that TE/load-balancer in the network calculates the same tuple hash
> and so takes the same path. (Presuming that it ignores the source UDP port)

I don’t follow. The draft requests a new destination port from IANA. Let’s
assume it is 14500.

What is the difference between having every gateway send traffic with the
5-tuple (me, random_port, UDP, you, 4500) and having every gateway send traffic
with the 5-tuple (me, random_port, UDP, you, 14500) ?

Sending UDP-encapsulated traffic from a random port works today, and has the
advantage that middleboxes trying to classify traffic already know what it is.

Yoav
.