Hi Paul,

I think it is a good idea to have some indication in IANA about the current
status of the algorithm,
similar to recent changes in the TLS registry (and in fact I initiated this
discussion in Bangkok).

> > I think we need an RFC to at least categorize the algorithms, unless we
> > want the IANA registry to have stuff
> like “SHOULD-“ and “MAY+:
>
> We only need to add the SHOULD NOT and MUST NOT's and possibly some
> MAY's that are deemed otherwise ancient and deprecated (eg CAST)
>
> Anything with a + would surely not be deprecated as it is still climbing
> up. Anything with a - is still in use and we cannot deprecate it yet.

Well, I think it's a bit too complex for random implementer.
I'd prefer to classify all algorithms as follows:

1. Secure, required for interoperability
2. Secure, not required for interoperability
3. Insecure (obsoleted)

Regards,
Valery.