Paul,

> > Is this requirement only based on not reusing the same IV on different
> > cores or is there an additional factor I missed?
> For AES-GCM there is a 2^32 max operations per private key as well.

Are you referring to NIST SP 800-38D ยง 8.3 ? This is the closest I could find
to this restriction. But the 2^32 invocation limitation does not seem to apply
when the IV is 96 bits long and deterministic (which is the case in AES-GCM ESP
RFC4106).

Is there another standard document that enforces the 2^32 limit also in the
RFC4106 case ?

Best,
Guillaume