Hi Tero,

> Question is how many CPUs do you need to saturate 100 Gbit/s network
> link compared to how many HSM CPUs you need? is there more than 10
> times bigger number between them.

I think it depends on both CPUs and HSMs :-) And on algorithm too.
For example, AES has implemented in most modern CPUs and
it's difficult for any HSM to have advantage here. On the other hand,
if an algorithm has only software implementation on a general purpose CPUs,
then specifically designed HSM even clocked with much lower
frequency will have better performance.

> Do you have any real world values for those? I.e., how fast can one
> modern cpu do crypto (just plain crypto, no ipsec etc), and how fast
> can some modern crypto hardware do the same?

No, these are only speculations.

Regards,
Valery.