On 11/2/2014 12:38 PM, Matija Grabnar wrote:
On 11/02/2014 06:55 PM, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
On 8/22/2014 2:46 AM, Matija Grabnar wrote:
So, much as I would LIKE to have reverse IPv6 DNS on my mail servers, in
some cases it is just not possible.

Can you describe those cases?  I can't think of any scenarios where
you'd run a correctly-configured public MX and not have reverse DNS.

Bah - I have a correctly configured public MX on my home network (static
IPv4, static IPv6). It's correctly configured, but I have been as of now
unable to convince my provider to delegate reverse DNS (for IPv6) to my
DNS. They are simply not set up for that. Otherwise, the MX is
completely correctly configured. Under IPv4 it even has a PTR (for the
lone static IPv4 address).

Get a small VPS and have it act as MX and smarthost relay.

And I've had similar problems ("we are not set up to delegate reverse
DNS for IPV6") with a hosting provider. I had a suggestion on the list
that I should simply rehost my machines, but alas it is not practical,
since the provider was chosen for a bunch of other parameters (bandwidth
cost, hosting cost, etc), with IPv6 connectivity an afterthought.

I've had providers tell me that as well, then add that they can set the reverse DNS upon request. If they can't do either, run away from them very fast--they just made it very clear they don't have a good design.