On 5 Oct 2019, at 15:44, Michel Py wrote:

Hi Job,

Job Snijders wrote :
If the IPv4 vs IPv6 tussle is interpreted as a culture war,

It is war, but I don't think it is a matter of culture. After all, 20 years ago we almost all were in the same boat, more or less. Most of us believed that IPv6 could replace IPv4 in a reasonable number of years, and all of us were wrong, because it did not.

you are right Michel, it hasn’t yet. I did not have any number of years in my mind, but I was sure that it would quite long. The footprint of IPv4 Internet (including OS, devices, software, networks, …) is so so large, that it sure will take a loooooong time. Cobol is still in use… I don’t think IPv4 will be dead in my lifetime. But that does not mean we should not be working on its replacement to sustain the growth. To me IPv6 is the only viable solution. It has gone through pretty hard infancy, but is improving. Many of its great new ideas has been almost abandonned, but the larger address space remains a clear win over IPv4.

To me, this whole discussion is moot. IPv6 has not yet took over IPv4 yet. But that does not mean we shall not continue working on improving IPv6 and deploying it and use it. Up to now, I have only see an increase of the number of nodes/trafic over IPv6, by any metric or monitoring system I’ve seen. The increase rate is not as most of us would like to be, but still positive. To me, if we see a decrease of usage of IPv6 over some significant period of time, then we shall discuss about the failing of IPv6. But we are not yet there.

Regards, Marc.

It have become a war because of money, and the outcome will be decided by money, not by ideals. There are people who have admitted that, and people who have not and keep waging the war as they could still win it.

Time to be nice has come, and gone. The IPv6 camp has clearly stated that their goal is to win the war. Battle time.

Michel.