*knock knock* is this mic on ?

Once upon a time during the FOSDEM post-conference gathering with organizers I
challenged the notion that the dual stack was the state of the art. The
organizers, being themselves in various tech roles, agreed. It was interesting
to get to those days bleeding edge. Of course with NAT64.

Thus FOSDEM became the very first large-ish (above 5K clients) WiFi setups in
the world to go with IPv6-only+NAT64 in the default SSID. The announcement was
made during the opening session, which everyone attended.

We maybe had 20% clients remaining on the default “bleeding edge”. Which is a
testament to the immense power of human laziness aka the law of the default: it
was several hundred times more compared to the previous year when they SSID was
“on the side”.

Mind you, this was the time when Android still wasn’t able to connect to IPv6
only on WiFi, and when iOS was flapping WiFi every minute, if connected to
v6-only access. That time is long gone - every subsequent year the %%
participation on the default IPv6-only access SSID nearly doubled.

Were there complaints ? In single digits, sure. (And about complaints in
general: no temperature in the room can help avoid having complaints about it
being too cold or too hot. Some of those complaints came from dual stack SSID
and general confusion that happened first year) - if there is anyone from rest
of the FOSDEM network crew of those years reading this, please correct me if I
am missing anything.

But the overall feedback from the participants was overwhelmingly positive. And
there was a lot of bug reports, questions, etc. directed at makers and vendors
that didn’t support IPv6.

Since then it’s business as usual and no one is even asking.

So, IPv6-only access with NAT64 was a good thing to do for a technology-focused
gathering of people.

For an unrelated business-focused gathering that would not have been a useful
idea.

RIPE and IETF (and the vendor conferences for that matter) - being the mix of
the two, are tricky to decide.

To me it all depends on an answer to a simple question: “do we want to lead the
trends or do we want to follow them, and which ones ?” NB: both are valid
business strategies.

What you care about with an IPv6 only access network at a short event is not
necessarily just testing the apps. You care about the lasting memory and
perception of that event that will be projected outward. It stopped being
purely technical several years ago.

I hear “but there are non-technical people who just wanna get their job done”.
Ironically from my experience they are the least ones to have problems, because
they don’t use fancy outdated VPNs. And even if they do - they are empathetic
enough to understand the modern 20-year technology still has kinks to iron, and
smart enough to switch over to “-fallback” SSID or similar. Would you not be in
their position ? If no, I am sorry for you. If yes - why would you think of
them as lesser capable humans?

I hear “but if people experience problems with IPv6, it gives it a bad rap”. To
which I reply - the opposite of love is not hate, its irrelevance and
indifference. Make it the best possible experience and let the glitches drive
the improvement. This is the same way everywhere - business, relationships,
knowledge.

I hear “but dualstack works fine”. Sure, but for a 4-day long event so does,
from a layman’s practical standpoint, pure IPv4-only. Those in dire need of
128-bit address can use their corp VPN or - if they don’t have it -
Cloudflare’s Warp+.  The latter works beautifully over any legacy - and
accelerates the web experience too! [shoutout to Mahtin. Thank you so much!]

When I look at today’s application architectures and latest trends, I see a lot
of parallels between today’s IPv4 Internet and PSTN from 30 years ago. It’s
fascinating to imagine how it all looks in 30 years from now, in another
perspective, when it inevitably changes again.

Provided that whole climate thing still allows us to hang around :-)

Thanks for listening if you made it till here.

Sometimes I wish I could make a sequel to my now probably biggest career
contribution (“NATs are good” video), but ironically that startup is no more,
they got bought, and it’s all now a serious business, no kidding.

—a