Hi Nico,

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM Nico Schottelius
<nico.schottel...@ungleich.ch> wrote:

[...]

> The status quo is:
>
> - Community projects use ULA, because it's easy and free
> <---------------------------------|
> - ULA does not have an official registry (and seems to be unlikely that we go
> there)        |
> - GUA might be an easy way out of this
> - However GUA costs real money
> -------------------------------------------------------------|
> </claim>

ULA does not have a registry because it is highly improbable that
there will be prefix clashes because the available space is so vast.
That is why it can be free and users can feel comfortable that their
prefix is unique.

> And the motivation is to reach:
>
> - Community projects can use GUA for free <--|
>
> Does it make sense?

You suggest that the users should get registration and DNS for free
but someone else should pay for it. Who should pay and why would they
do so? And why would this commitment to fund a registry over multiple
decades be considered reliable enough that the users who pay nothing
should put their trust in it?

Kind regards,

Leo