> Dredging up some graduate school discussions, I suspect that this
> topic is differentiated between the classic "network" model of host to
> host communication, versus the "distributed processing" model of
> process to process communication.

I think this is an exaggeration.  But as long as primary memory is
private to hosts and processes (i.e. not accessible by other hosts or
processes running the same applications or services), there will be a
need to rendezvous with, and refer to, specific hosts running specific
processes that have sole access to state that is critical for continued
operation of an instance of an application.