Erik,

EN> I don't think an identifier is necessary in every packet.
EN> But I do think it makes sense to have a shim layer above IP which
EN> uses locators in the packets below (for IP's routing) and presents
EN> fixed length identifiers in the pseudo-headers passed to/from the upper layer
EN> protocols.

I believe you have described the common characteristic to the set of solutions
I classed as "IP Endpoint" in the -analysis- paper I issued last night. It
distinguishes a "shim" approach from an "ip-es" approach with a shim being
more backward compatible for the upper layers, but that is a nicety, rather
than a key point, I believe.

EN> The reason having identifiers in every packet isn't useful is that if
EN> you want to avoid facilitating redirection attacks of packet flows,
EN> then the receiver needs to verify at some level the relationship between
EN> locators and identifiers.

yes!

EN>  Thus between the ULPs the shim provides a service which
EN> passes what looks like packets containing 128 bit identifiers, even though on
EN> the wire the packets have 128 bit locators.

Yes. I've come to the view that that is really what MAST (and I believe LIN6
and HIP) are trying to do, though I originally described it in NAT terms.

128bits vs. 32 is a v4/v6 distinction, not an architectural distinction. The
point is that transport sees something that is like what it is used to, but it
no longer is really a locator. Instead it is an identifer that the new layer
(shim, ip-es, or whatever) maps to the locator.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>