Hi,

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> I believe RFC 2993 actually covers all the issues (including the one
> of VPNs between RFC 1918 sites, especially in section 7.6).

Thanks for the pointer.  Yes, RFC 2993 seems to cover many aspects which
seem surprisingly familiar ;-), but I'm not sure if it answers questions
like : "I want to use NAT or RFC1918 for purpose X.  Why shouldn't I do
it?  (Why might I want to do it anyway?)  What other feasible ways are
there to do it without such mechanisms?"

In other words, the document seems to cover the scenarios using a broad
overview -- it may not be applicable to the most common cases of
deployment.

But then again, I'll have to go read the RFC in detail.

> Given how difficult it was to get that RFC published, I wonder if it
> is worth the effort of writing what would efefctively be the same
> document, but with an emphasis on ambiguity instead of translation.

I can certainly envision how this could turn ugly.  Could you elaborate a
bit on the difficulties that came across?

Pekka