Keith,

KM> DNS names are not sufficient for rendezvous or referral.

 Here are the arguments about the names, themselves, that you put forward:

KM>     * Incompatible with existing transport protocols.

If you mean that they are too long to be carried in IP packet headers, you are
of course correct.  If you mean something else, please explain.

However, your concern presupposes that the identifiers must be carried in
those protocol -- or rather, that they must be carried in them frequently.

KM>     * Ambiguous and overloaded. Quite often, a DNS name doesn't refer to a host.

So?  What problem does that cause?  Specifically, please provide a usage
example that would cause a problem.

KM> Instead it refers to a service (as in imap.example.com or www.example.com)
KM> which might map to numerous hosts.

And it might not.  So?  Again, please provide a usage scenario that is
problematic.

KM>  There can also be many domains
KM> associated with a single host and yet be semantically different;

How is this a problem?

KM> What this means among other things is that existing domain names that we
KM> use cannot be expected to be host identifiers.

It depends upon how they are used.

KM>  Even when they are
KM> sufficient to identify a host for initial connection purposes, resolving
KM> the same DNS name again may not produce a locator for the same host as
KM> before.

You are assuming all sorts of semantics to the use of a DNS string that might
or might not be true, for any specific proposal to use domain names.

KM> * Not organized favorably. Existing DNS names are organized according to a
KM> hierarchy of administrative entities,

This is a strength, not a weakness.  If the requirement is for a
globally-registered and unique string, there is not other administrative model
for which we have global experience.  Feel free to cite a counter-example.

KM>  and write access to DNS RRs is also
KM> organized in this fashion.

Whether frequently written RRs is required is, again, dependent upon what
proposal is made.

KM>  The components of domain names are usually
KM> intended to be recognizable by humans, and humans therefore attach meaning
KM> to those names.

This is a feature that serves to improve the mnemonic potential of the
strings.  So?

KM>  This further implies that those administrative entities
KM> often want to restrict use of their domains, so that their names aren't
KM> associated with behavior that they cannot control.

I cannot even guess what you mean by the above.

KM> Of course, it would still be possible to create a new tree of domain names
KM> that did not have these characteristics, but this would remove what many
KM> see as the primary advantage of using DNS names - the ability to avoid
KM> creating new infrastructure.

depends upon the nature of the new registration policies.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>