On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> > 2       Adverse effects of site local addresses
> >
> > ==> I showed this draft to a believer of site-local addressing, who had had
> > very little experience with IPv6.  He was not convinced of the arguments.
> > This may be for one of the many reasons.  One fix is to also refer to some
> > documents which include more verbiage than this document, e.g. Margaret
> > Wasserman's SL impact document -- note that such would necessarily have to
> > be a normative reference then, requiring the publication of it as an
> > Informational doc.
>
> People who don't understand the down side of RFC 1918 are hard to convince
> by more verbiage, in my experience. So I don't think this would be a
> good use of our collective effort.

True, but if we wish to remain relevant, something has to be written
somewhere.  I fully agree that doing so in *this* document may not be
worth it; it might be worth it in some other doc, e.g. sl-impact.

> Are there any specific weak points?

Trying to summarize:
 - 2.1: trying your own local addresses while visiting another site is a
problem, but no news compared to RFC1918
 - 2.2: the "leaking" of addresses may not be clear enough.  The reader
interpreted that as source/destination addresses (trivial!) and DNS.  The
*difficult* problems are elsewhere..
 - 2.3: the reader didn't notice that the difficulty of routing lies with
overlapping or adjacent sites.

I'll send the exact wording off-list..

> > 5       Security Considerations
> >
> >    The link-local unicast prefix allows for some blocking action in
> >    firewall rules and address selection rules, which are commonly
> >    viewed as a security feature since they prevent packets crossing
> >    administrative boundaries. However, such blocking rules can be
> >    configured for any prefix, including the expected future replacement
> >    for the site-local prefix. Thus the deprecation of the site-local
> >    prefix does not endanger security.
> >
> > ==> s/link/site/, obviously.
> >
> > ==> I think the security considerations considers only one, but important
> > aspect of the site-locals.  One should also discuss the effect of stability
> > to the availability (which is part of security), and the effect of explicit
> > scope  to the address selection -- e.g., the case with intra-domain
> > VPN's which route some traffic directly to the Internet but some to through
> > the VPN to the infrastructure: how to ensure that the traffic destined to
> > internal hosts over the VPN doesn't end up in the Internet by accident
> > (e.g. if the VPN is down).
>
> I'm not disagreeing with your points, but does this document really need an
> extended security analysis? That belongs in the specification for the
> replacement (if any) of site locals, surely?

Well, I'm not sure if the document does need it; maybe not.  However, the
security considerations as it is is a bit one-sided.  It should be either
tailed down a bit or extended.