Steven Blake wrote:

> I have some comments about Section 3.2.1 (Centrally Assigned Global IDs)
>
> 1.  I don't understand the necessity for the requirement to generate IDs
>     consistent with [RANDOM].  The IDs need to be unique and
>     sufficiently "randomized" (one could argue how important this need
>     really is) so that there is no plausible way to aggregate them.  I
>     don't think it is necessary to be unable to guess the date or
>     relative order in which a particular ID was allocated, however.

Strictly, that's true, but isn't it easier to simply refer to
an existing method?

> 2.  I don't find the argument for a single allocation authority
>     compelling.  It is still possible for a single authority (i.e.,
>     IANA) to delegate blocks of the global ID space to multiple
>     registries.  The naive way would be to delegate lists of random
>     numbers generated by IANA.  A more elegant way would be to delegate
>     ranges in the sequence space of a non-repeating PRNG (e.g., maximal
>     period 40-bit LFSR).  Note that the requirement (1) above precludes
>     this latter method.

Yes but why bother ? There is no geographical aspect here, so why set up
more than one registry?

> 3.  I don't believe it is essential to have alternative registration
>     methods besides web and e-mail.  Anyone can establish a new network
>     using only PA addresses (and locally assigned local IDs if
>     necessary) before acquiring a "centrally assigned" local ID.  One
>     could also ask a friend with connectivity, or go to a local library.
>     Requiring non-automated means of registration significantly drives
>     up the allocation cost.

I would agree, but how does someone in the middle of a developing country
with no connected friends and no such thing as a library do it?

> 4.  I don't believe that it is necessary for the allocation registry to
>     escrow each allocation; I think it is sufficient for the allocation
>     recipient to do so.  In a dispute one can prove that he or she owns
>     an allocation by producing a non-repudiatable (e.g., signed) message
>     from a registry.  The registries would only have to escrow their
>     public keys.

Yes, I think that is better.

> 5.  I don't believe that the 10 euro fee is appropriate.  I suspect that
>     the cost to collect the money is substantially higher than the
>     cost to manage the registry infrastructure, especially if the
>     requirements are relaxed sufficiently such that the process can be
>     fully automated.  Although I'm not volunteering to foot the costs
>     of a registry myself, I suspect sponsors could be found to operate
>     them.

The fee is the abuse-prevention mechanism. We know from other examples that
automated registries can and do operate at that level of fee. And in the
conditions of the early 21st century, no, I don't think it's trivial to
find sponsorship.

> 6.  I believe a centralized registry is more susceptible to a DoS
>     attack.

That's true. But if each probe of the attack takes 10 Euros out of the
attackers credit card, who cares?

   Brian