On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
>       d) obsolete AI_ADDRCONFIG.  AI_ADDRCONFIG semantics is too vague, and
>       way too difficult to specify (for instance, if you have IPv6 global
>       unicast address and no route, is it configured?).  also, even without
>       AI_ADDRCONFIG programs work just fine (socket(2) or connect(2) will
>       issue the right error).

Agreed, that might be one option.

Without the on-link assumption, the default route case should be rather
simple, though.  You'd only have to look at the addresses.

IMHO, without the on-link assumption, AI_ADDRCONFIG could help a lot in
dual-stack deployments where IPv6 connectivity is not yet enabled.

Of course, properly written apps would most probably also work there, but
some apps are not properly written, but:

 - there are really misbehaving DNS servers out there, which jeopardize
your IPv4 service if you query for AAAA's, and
 - if you have no IPv6 address, you'll waste a roundtrip or two in AAAA
queries
 - maybe other considerations we haven't figured out / thought out yet.