On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:13:38AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
>  - there are really misbehaving DNS servers out there, which jeopardize
> your IPv4 service if you query for AAAA's, and
>  - if you have no IPv6 address, you'll waste a roundtrip or two in AAAA
> queries
>  - maybe other considerations we haven't figured out / thought out yet.

And I've seen cases where you never get a reply to the AAAA query, which
means that the application will wait for quite some time. Probably too
clever firewalls or broken DNS server software.

So I've seen people turn off IPv6 in apps using getaddrinfo() looping
through the addresses the normal way, due to this.

I don't like the idea of changing getaddrinfo() because of this, one
should rather attack the real problem. However that is much harder...

Stig