Mans & Pekka,

> > <snip>  I guess the question is about whether we want to
> > encourage adding that support, or documenting existing, well-known
> > practice for new implementations.  If we put EDNS0 as a SHOULD, we'd
> > probably be doing the former .. which is OK by me as long as we're
> > doing a conscious decision on that (but my personal take is that we
> > should stick to "known good, implemented, works" -mantra in
> a document
> > like this).
>
> We know that EDNS0 works. Mark did a good description of the present
> state. I see nothing to the contrary. It is A Good Thing to endorse
> EDNS0 in a document like this, because it could speed up deployment.

I am not an expert with EDNS0, but reviewing this thread, it seems
that the client support for EDNS0 is what is lacking, most servers
support it already.  What I think this means is that a SHOULD in
the requirements shouldn't cause operational difficulties.  If I
am correct, then, what would be the problem with listing EDNS0
as a SHOULD?  If we do this, we may get more clients to support
EDNS0.

John