From: Gupta Mukesh (Nokia-NET/MtView)
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 4:19 PM
To: 'ext Fred Templin'
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v3-02.txt: Rate Limiting Methods

Fred,

Rethinking about the following example of yours. Do we need to consider
the asymmetric paths between A and B ? I guess, the problem can be seen
with even symmetric path. Let say the network is like

A <--- 1gig ---> C <--- 56 kbps --> D <--- 1 gig ---> B

Now A starts sending some packets and B generates ICMPv6 error
messages. If B is using bandwidth-based function for limiting the rate,
it would calculate the percentage using 1 gig link's bandwidth and will
overload the thin link between C & D.

Am I missing something ?

Regards
Mukesh