Let's rephrase this then, e.g:

        One good way to implement the rate-limiting function is a token
        bucket, limiting the average rate of transmission to N, where N
        can either be packets/second or a fraction of the attached
        link's bandwidth, but allowing up to B additional error
        messages to be transmitted in a burst, as long as a long-term
        average is not exceeded.

(the last line could probably be enhanced a bit more though.)

> >From an earlier message from Zachary Amsden:
>
>         It seems to me that "back to back" is ill-defined.  It is highly
>         unlikely that the ICMP error packets will be transmitted with no other
>         transmissions in between, which "back to back" seems to imply.  The
>         burst allowance should probably be defined as "allowing a burst of N
>         packets over Ts seconds", or something along these lines.
>
> Zachary is right--"back-to-back" adds nothing but confusion.
> Please remove "back-to-back."

Back to back wasn't meant like that, that's right.