>> 3. What happens if someone builds a stack from multiple vendors
>> (e.g. MLD from vendor X and NDP from vendor Y)?

>       this is "someone"'s responsibility to ensure the documented behavior,
>       IMHO.  it is not a concern for standard document (no need to document).

I basically agree.  IMO, this kind of thing is implementation
dependent, and can be out of scope of a specification document.

Regarding our own implementation (KAME/BSD), it joins the
solicited-node multicast group corresponding to a link-local unicast
address within the kernel; it doesn't need a separate system call
(IPV6_JOIN_GROUP) to join the group in this particular case.  So, I
believe it's not so difficult to implement the procedure I showed in
my previous message at least on one OS that I know of.

We could add a note in rfc2462bis that in some OSes it may not be
effective to separate the join process and the listen process, though
I personally think it's overkilling in this document.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.