Hi Ole,

Ole Troan wrote:
Greg,

This essentially the problem with DAD on wifi, right?  That should
make a general solution more interesting then just a corner case.

no, this is a general problem. I've seen this on Ethernet. I've spoken to the DAD/WIFI draft owners and we've agreed to add the id option to that draft and rename it to something less wifi specific.

SEND has already defined a random Nonce option for Neighbour Solicitation messages.

Also defined are Timestamp options for these messages.

Send requires both of these to be present in a DAD-NS.

In this case, a node can keep track of (only) its fresh Nonces,
and it will be able to check if received DAD NS's are
its own.

These options would even be able to be used in non-SEND
solicitations under the constraint that there's no trust
associated with them (since they're not signed messages).

There's no further identifier definition required (although
it would be valuable to write a short draft on it).

thanks for pointing out the SEND draft to me, I haven't followed that
work for a while.

yes, it seems that the Nonce option should work. a SEND node receiving
these would interpret this message as a unsecured message as long as
there is no trust association, right? if there is a trust association
the message would be silently discarded.

I believe that the messages aren't interpreted as 'secured' unless they have a valid signature. (the key used to verify the signature is often included in the SEND message).

For DAD-NS/NA messages though, there's likely to be no
existing relationship between the configuring node and
a receiver.  The SEND message in and of itself typically
provides enough information to prove its ownership of a
public key (and thus an address if CGA is used).

This doesn't actually mean that unsecured DAD messages
get silently discarded though.  For the first DAD attempt,
SEND actually allows unsecured NA's to indicate address
duplication (though subsequent address configurations only
listen to SEND).

agree, that a short draft on how non-SEND nodes can use these options
is needed.

The shorter, the better...

Greg