Tony,

I agree that 'draft-hain-templin-ipv6-localcomm' has served the useful
purpose of focusing the discussion, but (like an RFP or BAA) its sole
purpose was to issue a call for solution alternatives; not to propose
solution alternatives or otherwise seek a more active role in itself.

As such, I believe the 'hain-templin' document should remain current
only until an acceptable solution has been identified and progressed.
Thereafter, the 'hain-templin'  document should gracefully expire
with perhaps a "tombstone" marker left behind as a matter of
historical record, i.e., I don't believe any further progression
will be necessary.

Regards,

Fred L. Templin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tony Hain wrote:

Alain,

The current document does not enforce a business model (earlier versions
did), but does set technical constraints. Personally I don't think it is
possible to 'Provide mechanisms that prevent hoarding', so the requirement
'without any procedure for de-allocation' creates a problem once hoarding
has been detected. I do not object to the current document as this specific
issue will be resolved by an update once the system is in operation and
practical experience exposes that flaw.

Recommending against all-zero's is not only a waste of time, it specifically
directs people to the thing you are trying to avoid. There is nothing that a
document can do to prevent a consultant from configuring all of his
customers with the same prefix. He can run [RANDOM] once and use that
everywhere, yet is in full compliance with the document. Even more of a
problem, an equipment manufacturer could run [RANDOM] once and burn that
value into every piece of equipment they ship. The best a document can do is
highlight the issues raised by duplicate assignments, and provide a
mechanism which solves them if used as directed. As much as some people want
to, it is not the IETF's job to legislate operational behavior. The language
in this document is appropriate and it should be published.

Tony

BTW: why wasn't draft-hain-templin-ipv6-localcomm-04.txt sent at the same
time as the unique address & deprecation drafts? They are all dealing with
the same issue.