Dan Lanciani wrote:

> "Jeroen Massar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> |Dan Lanciani wrote:

> |> |
> |<SNIP>
> |
> |> I'm sure that some ISP could see business in this.  What I
> |> don't understand is why it is necessary or desirable to create a revenue
> |> stream for ISPs in this way.  Could you explain how it is beneficial to the v6
> |> user community add an artificial address rental cost to internal
> |> networking operations?
> |
> |I never said that it would be benificial to the user community,
>
> Then why do it?

Because it is "yet another option" and also one that is available now
and doesn't need anything from the IETF, IANA or anybody else?

> |But it is one solution that can be taken *now* by the (many?) companies
> |that require this scenario.
>
> You appear to be suggesting it as an alternative to the
> proposed permanent allocations which this thread is about.  In that context it
> has been proposed before.  I do not believe that it is a good reason to delay
> (or worse, reject) the current proposal for permanent allocations.

I never said (or wrote for that matter) that I was against this proposal either ;)
To clarify I commented on a reply which mentioned the money issue...

> |The 'pay some money' in the scenario above could also be replaced
> |by 'rub his back' or 'donate a keg of beer' which makes many ISP's
> |happy already. One could also request a /48 from one of the many
> |Tunnel Broker systems out there and just don't use it globally ;)
>
> Why have this uncertainty in cost (and even in availability)
> when we can have simple, permanent allocations as proposed?

Alternate proposal, nothing against the unique-local proposal, some
others raised cost concerns, thus I mentioned this alternative to them.

Greets,
 Jeroen