> Suppose that a DIID node has an interface identifier (which is
> probably derived from the hardware address) "I".  The DIID node first
> tries "DAD" for fe80::I.  If the node does not see a duplication, then
> it will configure a global address P::I without doing DAD.  This is
> the optimization described in RFC2462.

> Then, also assume the DIID node has some "suffix" which is different
> from the interface identifier, "I", and even does not have any kind of
> relationship with I.  For example, a suffix prepared for an RFC3041
> temporary address might be related to I, since a part of the seed for
> the suffix might be I.  On the other hand, a suffix for a SEND CGA
> address would probably have no relationship with I.  Let's call the
> former type of suffix "S1" and the latter type of suffix "S2".

Oops, I should have been more careful...the suffix for a SEND CGA
address also belongs to the former category.

> Are you worried about the case where the DIID node omits DAD for the
> address P:S1 because fe80::I is proved to be unique but a different
> node happens to have already used the same address P:S1?  Then yes,
> this may cause a problem.  From a practical point of view, however,
> the only example of this kind of suffix that I know of is a suffix for
> an RFC3041 temporary address.

So we should also consider the CGA case.  Realistically, however, does
this really cause a compatibility issue?  The compatibility issue only
happens when we have a DIID based implementation that supports SEND
CGA and it is deployed.  Is this really the case in the real world so
we need to worry about the compatibility?

I not, then the following logic will still apply.

> So, practically, there should currently no
> new compatibility issue.  And if we take the proposed change in
> rfc2462bis, we will be able to avoid similar compatibility issues in
> the future.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.