Charlie,

I think that the fixed charge is a mistake, and
should be avoided.

I trust that everyone commenting on this has actually read the current draft. A fixed charge was removed several drafts ago.

The current draft does not impose a fixed charge for a prefix, but instead sets a requirement that the allocation authority implement a mechanism that prevents hoarding. Specifically from section 3.2.1 Centrally Assigned Global IDs:

- Provide mechanisms that prevent hoarding of these allocations.

   The allocation service should include sufficient provisions to avoid
   hoarding of numbers.  This can be accomplished by various ways, for
   example, requiring an exchange of documents, a verbal contact, or a
   proof that the request is on behalf of a human rather than a machine.
   The service may charge a small fee in order to cover its costs, but
   the fee should be low enough to not create a barrier to anyone
   needing one.  The precise mechanisms should be decided by the
   registration authority.

Bob

To avoid hoarding, of course it would be good to
avoid bugs.  In case, that is considered impossible
(sigh!) we can also demand that each address and/or
prefix be accompanied by a certificate generated
by IANA with a one-way hash to validate it.
The hash is to be unforgeable.  The certificate
is to contain the time of issuance.

Nobody is going to be able to present a billion
certificates satisfying the time constraint that
each one be separated by one or more seconds.
This can be made to be machine verifiable also.

Maybe there is another way, but in any case I
strongly think the fixed charge should be avoided.

And, finally, I assert that the bugs can be
avoided anyway.  It doesn't have to be more
than a few hundred lines of code.

Regards,
Charlie P.