> - As discussed in the context of the ICMPv6 spec revision, there are
>    similar multicast respond flooding issues even with base IPv6
>    processing before you get to any "application" such as ping.
>    Unrecognized destination option, for instance, would cause a
>    flood of responses.

This has been described as point 5 in the Security Considerations
section of the latest draft (draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v3-03.txt).

> In general, we may not wish to limit the ability of applications
> to respond to multicast, that may be needed in some cases. However,
> applications that do respond to multicast probably want to say
> something about the remaining case in their security considerations
> section. Some applications may also use some form of source
> authentication to ensure that only the legitimate sender's messages
> are processed.

I agree.

> This still leaves open what the behaviour for ICMPv6 Echo Request
> should be. I would not bundle this issue with what the other
> applications do, but my default answer would be to not respond
> to multicast requests unless there is a specific reason to do
> so. In this case there seems to be some discussion about multicast
> debugging capabilities. I do not have experience of that myself.
> Are multicast echo requests the primary multicast debugging
> mechanism? If yes, we should allow responses to be sent. If not,
> I agree with Suresh that it should be disallowed. Note that
> multicast debugging through echo responses is naturally limited
> to rather small multicast groups ;-) So I suspect people who
> need multicast in a large scale are going to need another
> debugging tool in any case.

I do not have any preferences here either.  I agree with Pekka
that it should be either MUST or MUST NOT.  Leaving it as a
SHOULD is not a good idea.

Now, who can tell if multicast echo request is the primary
multicast debugging mechanism or not ??

Regards
Mukesh