Hi Pascal,

I think we're straying from the original topic...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, June 11, 2004 11:24 pm
Subject: RE: WLAN (was Re: IPv6 Host Configuration of Recursive DNS
Server)

> Interestingly, part of this pain comes from the decision to provide
> Ethernet emulation for 802.11, while some practical use cases do not
> actually require a broadcast medium.
>
> In particular, in the case of public access points, the desired effect
> is a point to point connectivity with the access point; seems that
> a PPP
> support over the Wireless MAC layer would have done the trick
> perfectly.For MIPv6, though, there's also the pain that IPv6CP
> would not provide
> an IPv6 address to the mobile device anyway.
>
> But all this can be worked out :)

Indeed, with a new 'prefix' configuration option for
IPv6CP, would work OK.

This would result in an extra round trip for nodes
which didn't support it ( a configure reject/
configure request pair ), but it would be
backward compatible.

Nodes which didn't support it would just send an
RS anyway...

No more nasty multicast at the link-layer :)

Actally I like multicast, but for anything less common
than television, optimization of the wireless link for
single users per stream may take precedence.

Greg